Cancer can take away so much, and yet nothing in my life has taught me more about myself or revealed more to me about others. So in essence, cancer is a gift. I know, I know, for the Hnaths it’s the gift that keeps on giving! Ba-dum-bum.
In my traditional glass-is-half-full approach, I hope you will forgive me if I take an opportunity to offer up what I have been GIVEN by this insidious disease. And if you, or someone dear to you, has battled it, feel free to comment on what cancer has done FOR you, too.
I have added to my list over the last year, and will continue to do so, but I think these are my top five to this point. I will post some more every so often. Enjoy!
- Never again will I feel compelled to scramble to find something pink to wear to my kids’ Breast Cancer Awareness basketball games. I. Am. Aware.
- Finally proof that Angelina Jolie and I share more in common than simply a love of bad-ass tattoos and hot husbands. BRAC- POSITIVE FOREVAHHH, BABYYYY!!
- Because my genes decided to revolt, I am, at the ripe old age of 42, the first of my friends to be officially menopausal. (Does that make me a Meno-pioneer? A Mentor-pause?) So I will never again have to find creative ways to carry or conceal “feminine” products. Awwww yeahhhh. You’re jealous, admit it.
- Having any hair = Good hair day
- Three little words I never expected being able to incorporate into my vocabulary: Bras are optional. That’s right ladies, read it and weep.